Marquis Returns, Signs One-Year Deal

News — By on July 22, 2010 at 10:30 pm

From ESPN.com:

The seventh-year swingman agreed to a one-year, $2.5 million contract, his agent, Mark Bartelstein, confirmed to ESPN.com Thursday evening.

Signed with the biannual exception last summer, Daniels was regarded as a potential steal coming off a season in which he averaged 13.6 points, 4.6 rebounds and 2.1 assists per game in 54 appearances for the Indiana Pacers.

I have said all along that I would like to see Marquis return and looks like I have gotten my wish. People say that we are just assembling the same roster from last season, but I think Daniels never really got to show us what he was totally capable of.

He started the season great, filling the role of point-forward off the bench. After his wrist injury, he lost his playing time to Tony Allen in the rotation. With Tony playing so well and Marquis out of shape and sync, there just weren’t any minutes left for him to work his way back in. Now there is a gaping void in the bench and Marquis Daniels will be given the opportunity to show what he can really do.

As of right now, Nate Robinson is our backup at point guard, but Daniels will most likely do the ball handling for the second unit. We now need to find a shooting guard to fill out the bench and run with Nate and Marquis. A pure shooter would be great, but a defensive presence on the wing would be more useful to this team as currently constructed.

1. Denis C. says:

For some reason I’m not high on Daniels anymore. He was a big hype when he joined the team in green but Tony Allen outplayed him in every aspect.

2. Celts 18X says:

Yeah hopefully he will stay healthy (which I believe is a big “if” with him), and he should be able to do at least as well as Tony did. Maybe not defensively, but at least I won’t be yelling “Don’t dribble – Get rid of the ball!” at the television like I always have with Tony.

3. Pat Cusick says:

I hate to be blunt and everyone knows I love the Celtics but this is a flat out horrible move. Today the Lakers added Matt Barnes and the Celtics added Daniels. Who out of those two teams got better today and who didn’t? Barnes was a good nba role player last year and Marquis alternated between being injured and being useless. The Celtics biggest problem is scoring and Daniels brings zero scoring to the table. With teams around the NBA getting better the Celtics can’t hope to just bring back last years team switch O’Neal and Sheed and expcet to compete for the championship.

4. Leo B says:

Do not think he has the ability to guard two’s as well as Allen. In addition, outside shot not much to write home about. Matt Barnes was not a good fit here either. Antoine Wright is a young kid and a good get right now. Kapono is out there-no defense though. Offense / defense at the NBA level is a tough one. A scorer is s must as well as a good big. That Rasheed contract is huge right now. Shannon Brown is owed
    $ 2.2 Million-is he worth a look. Probably off the LA table with Barnes on board. Lots of work left to do for the C’s. In Danny we trust.

5. Pat Cusick says:

How was Matt Barnes not a good fit here? He is a swingman who shoots the three well, grabs 5 rebounds a game, and is a good defender, not to mention he wasn’t looking for a huge contract and he has playoff experience. I am extremely curious to hear why you think would not have worked here.

6. Tyler says:

I think Barnes would of been hit or miss. Yes he has talent, but I really am not a fan of his attitude. Hes turning into an NBA journey man going from team to team and I wonder if there is a reason for that. Yes I would have welcomed here if the C’s would of been able to sign him, but I won’t lose any sleep over him going to the Lakers.

7. Adam says:

I understand where everyone is coming from. I have always liked Daniels’ versatility. Yes, he has some offensive deficiencies, but he is suffice for a bench defender.

Barnes would obviously have been a nice pick up, but we couldn’t afford him (from what I understand). With Marquis, we had his semi-Bird rights, allowing us to pay him 120% of his salary from last year. I assume he wasn’t getting offers of much more value from around the league, so here he is.

Can Marquis guard two guards? For short stints, maybe, but not consistently. I think that is where Avery Bradley comes in to play. If you remember back to draft night, Doc Rivers had said that Bradley was a very good NBA defender right now. That speaks volumes to his defense and he’s got a growing offensive game as well.

I personally think that Tony Allen wasn’t re-signed because Avery Bradley can step in and take some of his minutes right now. I truly think that Danny has not brought in a shooting guard like Barnes or Udoka because they want to see Avery play early and often.

8. Pat Cusick says:

Barnes certainly might have been hit or miss and I don’t want it to seem like I’m saying he could have been the savior of the Celtics but he is a signifigantly better player than Daniels is my only point. The Celtics have compiled the same exact roster as last year except they switched Wallace with O’Neal, and TA with Bradley. Does anyone think that roster can win a championship with teams all around improving? I’m not positive the Celtics could have afforded Barnes but he is making $1.8 million a year so I believe they could have made in offer close to that. Also I just don’t think Bradley can play TAs minutes. I wasn’t a fan of Tony but he was a solid defender. Bradley is a 19 year old kid who is 6 foot 3 and 180 pounds. If Rondo and Bradley, or Nate and Bradley are on the court together the Celtics are at a huge size disadvantage.
    My whole point with Marquis is that the Celtics don’t get better by resigning a guy who rode the bench for them last season and hoping he can be better. There is a reason Daniels didn’t play at all last year, hoping he comes in and plays great this year is foolish. He has never been a good shooter, he doesn’t rebound well, and only once in his career has played more then 62 games. Why should any Celtics fan feel happy with this signing?
    The East is going to be signifigantly better next year with the Heat, the Bulls, and the Bucks all getting much better. If the Celtics don’t make a couple good moves before the end of free agency they are going to be left behind by these teams. We can’t hope to rely on Pierce, Garnett, Rondo, and Ray to carry the team for another whole entire season.